Exercise SAIF SAREEA 3 is a combined military training exercise between UK and Omani Armed Forces.
According to the Minsitry of Defence, land forces will train in Oman and naval forces in Omani and international waters nearby. Air forces from the two countries will operate throughout in support.
Ex SS3 demonstrates the UK’s commitment to international allies and our ability to conduct a strategic deployment of a warfighting force to the Middle East, say the Ministry of Defence in a release.
“It will strengthen our tri-Service relationships with Oman and will help develop their Joint, Interoperable, Defence capabilities.”
The exercise will happen in 5 phases:
- The Army is deploying 2,000 soldiers on the exercise, with around 800 on the ground as exercising troops, 185 Armoured Fighting Vehicles and other equipment from the UK to Oman
- National forces training will happen 1-16 Oct
- Integration of the UK Battle Group with Omani forces will take place
- Final test exercise 24-27 Oct
- Firepower demonstration showcasing the combined effects of UK and Omani forces 29 Oct – 3 Nov
The UK has a long and established defence relationship with Oman, with strong bonds and shared values. Exercise SAIF SAREEA 3 is the largest joint exercise of its kind for 15 years underpinning one of the UK’s bilateral strategic partnerships.