BMT say it has developed WYVERN SSK to meet the requirements of customers looking to establish a new submarine capability or to upgrade existing platforms to a more competent design based on 21st century technology.
According to the company:
“With many nations facing budget constraints, WYVERN offers a capable, credible and cost-effective SSK solution covering the full spectrum of demanding roles from ASW, ASuW, ISR and Special Forces to training and emergent tasking.”
The philosophy behind WYVERN places considerable emphasis on taking a simplistic approach to design. We understand that the design is based on a generic requirement set, underpinned by open source design standards, equipment suppliers data and an assumed end user concept of operations.
BMT say that the use of commercial off-the-shelf (COTS), military off-the-shelf (MOTS) equipment and allowing flexible equipment specification affords greater design tailoring to meet the varied requirements of prospective end users.
According to the company, the key features are:
• Improved resilience to weapon effects enabled by a double hull cross section
• Maximised payload and weapon fit for high mission effectiveness
• Extended submerged endurance and reduced susceptibility
• Adaptable AIP system options depending on customer technology preferences
• Sea-going capability with maximised radius of operation and mission endurance
• Maximum manoeuvrability and slow speed control to assist shallow water operations