Social media users have been once again sharing an article from last year titled ‘French firm wins Royal Navy Type 31 frigates contract’ without actually reading it.

The five Type 31 Frigates on order are being built at Rosyth in Scotland.

The article from Plymouth Live, while having a bit of a “clickbaity” headline according to some commentators, does go on to explain that the news relates to some components of the ship. Although,

Amazingly, they stood by this headline.

We covered this news in a less exciting way here at the time, essentially, Thales as part of Babcock Team 31, has been selected to be the mission systems integrator for the Type 31 programme, delivering the combat system, communications systems and the navigation and bridge systems.

This is normal. According to Thales, the work will be done in the UK.

More ships?

Additionally, in addition to 8 Type 26 and 5 Type 31, there are to be an unspecified number of Type 32 Frigates built in Scotland.

More frigates to be built in Scotland

5 2 votes
Article Rating
Notify of
guest
33 Comments
oldest
newest
Inline Feedbacks

borg
borg

I’m no expert but Is that headline worded wrongly ?👀

csm
csm
Reply to  borg

Considering the purpose of journalism is to inform the reader of actual events and facts, so if readers are believing something that has not happened to have happened due to the article/headline, then yes I would imagine it has been worded wrongly.

Rob
Rob

George!

Your headline, ‘No orders for Scottish ship yards haven’t gone overseas’ is a double negative and makes no sense.

Aooowah! Grammar alert!

borg
borg
Reply to  Rob

It says “Haven’t Went” which is even worse.🙄

Nate m
Nate m
Reply to  Rob

there’s a comma after no, so i guess ur meant to have a pause. so i guess it makes sense? as in he’s trying to say that the contracts weren’t given to a different firm.

borg
borg
Reply to  Nate m

It make sense because we can see through it.

DMJ
Reply to  Rob

There is a comma after the first word, so the headline makes sense.

Brian K Bilverstone
Brian K Bilverstone
6 days ago
Reply to  Rob

If they put a comma after No, it would then makes sense.

dan
dan

Not yet…..

Nate m
Nate m
Reply to  dan

and they never will.

Paul.P
Paul.P

Indicative preterite…did not go
past participle……….have not gone
present perfect continuous….have not been going

are all correct

Herodotus
Reply to  Paul.P

😉

Gareth
Gareth

On a sperate note, the Type 31e needs more than 12 Sea Ceptors

Barry Larking
Barry Larking
Reply to  Gareth

Agreed. What are your thoughts in detail?

Paul.P
Paul.P
Reply to  Barry Larking

Here you go. I can see the logic for just 12 missiles in the context of the probable intended role for the first batch of Type 31. Seems to me they are likely intended to replace the forward deployed batch 2 Rivers or perhaps just those deployed East of Suez; anyway, say 3 of the R2s return to home waters to replace the batch 1 Rivers as they retire. For l ‘constabulary’ duties a few Sea Ceptor would be needed to fend off the occasional Houthi Exocet or suicide drone: non state actors. That said I do see the Type… Read more »

Gareth
Gareth
7 days ago
Reply to  Paul.P

I think I’d be more inclined to believe that if we didn’t have such a lousy track record of underarming our ships. At the moment it just feels as though Boris et al., have said words to the effect of: “right, um, [random latin], need to make it look as though I’ve made the navy bigger. Votes etc….boats win votes!”

Gareth
Gareth
7 days ago
Reply to  Barry Larking

It just seems to me that at the moment the Type 31e is barely able to protect itself let alone project any kind of offensive power or offer any kind of protection to other assets. I know the gun combination is, at least for the 21st. century RN, unconventional, but it seems the ship has no role other than making the navy look bigger. Something like the NSM for littoral sea operations, plus another row of Sea Ceptor at least. Not sure what the sensors are like but presumably it has no real anti-submarine capability either, aside from providing refuelling… Read more »

Quentin D3
Quentin D3
Reply to  Gareth

Hi Gareth, I agree. It’s even getting annoying seeing this picture of an underarmed looking T31! I hope they come to their senses on the actual build. Even 1 more lot of 6 Camm would be half decent. Or, replace the forward 40mm with another 12 Camm. As I’ve posted else where they could look at adding 2 lots of 24 Camm down the sides of the Aster silos on the T45s. It’s all above deck and pretty light and would double the missile count overnight. They can use the cheaper Camm before the more expensive Asters. I saw on… Read more »

Paul T
Paul T
Reply to  Quentin D3

The Aster VLS on the Type 45’s aren’t above Deck,they go down several Levels,if you put CAAM Launchers alongside as you suggest they will still need to be Deck Penetrating,you might as well put the MK41 in as designed ( but not funded ).

Quentin D63
Quentin D63
Reply to  Paul T

Hi Paul, I didn’t think that the Camm would be deck penetrating seeing them on the T23s but anything extra would be good and make these ships even more formidable. MK41 as you suggest and to permanently kit all the T45s out with 8-12 ASMs. Let’s hope with any future refits that they can muscle up a bit more.

Matt
Matt
9 days ago

Thing is… I got caught out by that Click-baitness of Plymouth Live and will never read their articles again. If they actually produced decent quality articles that matched up with the headline, I’d have likely been a loyal reader!
[email protected]

Dern
Dern
Reply to  Matt

Sadly they seem to sucker more people than get burned.
Click bait is a widespread tactic for a reason.

Matt
Matt
Reply to  Dern

Indeed it is Dern. To that I say, ‘good job’ to the UKDJ team (and others) for challenging the “facts” of other media outlets and socialising good content in return.
[email protected]

Barry Larking
Barry Larking
9 days ago

Oh, you are your facts George!

Crabfat
Crabfat
9 days ago

Completely off-topic – Tuesday 27th Apr, BBC4 at 11pm ‘How to build a nuclear submarine’. It’s about HMS Astute. I think this is an old one – but might be of interest again.

Nigel Collins
Nigel Collins
Reply to  Crabfat
Gunbuster
Gunbuster
Reply to  Crabfat

Should that not be “How not to build a first of class Nuclear Submarine”

Andy P
Andy P
Reply to  Gunbuster

😂 That would be a much more accurate title GB.

Crabfat
Crabfat
Reply to  Gunbuster

Hi GB. Video no longer available. Had it on my DVD recorder for ages then deleted it. Can you remind me of the main problems? Ta…

Geoffrey Roach
Geoffrey Roach
8 days ago

When referring to said organisation the terms Plymouth and Live are contradictory. They couldn’t tell the difference between a frigate and fishing boat. Another recent article had Keir Starmer, on a visit to Plymouth, stating that the Tories should no longer build warships abroad but build them in Plymouth to secure new jobs. To help us out Plymouth Live attached a very good shot of a Wegetail and I do mean the aeroplane. See what I mean!

DJ
DJ
2 days ago
Reply to  Geoffrey Roach

could have been worse – could have been a shot of the real thing (Wedgetail eagle!

Geoffrey Roach
Geoffrey Roach
2 days ago
Reply to  DJ

Just winging it DJ? That is one serious bird.